Re: Formal Objections (was: CFC - 4.1.1 Parsing in WCAG 2.0 and 2.1)

> On Mar 13, 2023, at 6:01 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Gregg,
>
> Here's how I see it. Organizations are struggling with 2 issues: drive-by conformance abuses, and the creation of busy work.
>
> This is caused *primarily* because testing tools are still reporting on test results based on including the automated 4.1.1 rule. The solution there (I will suggest) is to change the testing profile, as most of the tools I've seen and worked with allow just that: I can test for WCAG 2.0 A or 2.0 AA, or 2.1 A or 2.1 AA (etc.)

    GV: agree. So we need to take 4.1.1 off the table or they can’t do that.

> So, if I want to remove 4.1.1 from the collection of automated tests, the answer is to load a different "profile" into the test tool. That profile HAS to be named something different than any of the other profiles, because it IS a different profile. Thus, the "slightly modified" rule set would be known as profile 2.X.1. Now organizations can adopt a new test profile into their test suites that eliminates the busy work impacting their dev and QA teams. I will assert this solves the first problem: "busy work".

    GV: as long as it is in the guidelines — we can’t change the evaluation profile or else it loses its face value with WCAG

> In terms of "reporting" conformance, organizations could still report as conforming against 2.X, because 2.X.1 and the attendant "note" state that 4.1.1 can be considered always passing. Using the backward compatibility principle, if you meet WCAG 2.X.1, then you *WOULD* also be meeting WCAG 2.X. I will suggest here that this will then solve the second problem: drive-by abuses

    GV: no —  a note cannot change an SC  so just adding a note has no effect on conformance or requirements at all.  In fact you can’t have a note that say anything contrary to an SC.  it can only explain what is already there.

> In Practice:
> While the ITI VPAT template is far from being universal, it IS a significant conformance reporting tool used by a large number of US and international organizations. Looking at the VPAT template, reporting against 4.1.1 could then look something like this:
> <image.png>
> (screen capture of the VPAT document showing SC 4.1.1 as "Supports" with the Remark "This requirement is considered met citing the evolution of the requirement documented in WCAG 2.X.1")

    GV: wellll   don’t get me started on VPATs.  They are not a way to report conformance.   They are a way to avoid reporting conformance.    In VPATs one never says that one meets an SC.  Only that they ’support’ it.    Which is carefully chosen and defined as NOT meaning that one conforms or meets the provision.

> This is but one example, but other means of addressing the drive-by abuses could include adding a statement to a websites' "Accessibility page" [sic], or similar ("Copyright 2021 - The ACME Widget company. This site meets the requirements of WCAG 2.X.1"). The point being, now dev and QA teams can use a test profile that eliminates the "busy work", and compliance and regulatory folks have a documented "normative" citation that asserts that they are "conforming" to a compliance requirement without the need for testing or 'explaining' why (for example) a duplicate ID in a section of code is NOT causing any harm to PwD.

   GV: this helps if you area just reporting.  But many companies never want to report - for the same reason they want to use VPATs and not conformance statements.

ALSO it doesn’t help if the Purchase Order requires  2.0

> To my way of thinking, this solves both types of problem: testing AND compliance (conformance) reporting, without trash-canning the current WCAG 2.X Recommendations. Personally, I have a very rigid interpretation of Standards: once officially published, they can evolve, but can never be "overwritten", and I will continue to object as strenuously as the W3C will allow against any suggestion to do that.

   GV: See above.  It doesn’t actually change anything.         They can’t be 'overwritten' but they can be revised.   There are thousands of standards that have been revised without being renumbered.    That is why regulations usually talk about a standard AND the date of the standards release.