Re: 4.1.1 Parsing in WCAG 2.0 and 2.1

On 10/03/2023 15:17, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
[...]
> I think that is difficult to reconcile with the SC text. I don’t think
> that the specification allows duplicate ids, nor is there any error
> correction for it

I might be misremembering, but I believe the spec(s) defines what to do
(in terms of error-correction) when there are multiple elements with the
same id being referenced (off the top of my head, I think it's "just go
for the first element that was encountered while parsing/in source
order", but I might be wrong). So, as with broken/wrongly nested markup,
it doesn't "allow" it per se, but gives clear instructions for all
implementations on how to consistently error-correct for it.

Similarly for duplicate attributes, I believe it defines which one takes
precedence (I want to say the last one, but again it's been a while
since I delved into the HTML spec).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux