Re: [EXT] Re: Target size updates

Not sure if anyone else is struggling to understand the new version, but I am. The first row before uses more plain language. I love the shortening, but don’t understand the rewrite as clearly.

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2022 at 10:52 AM
To: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: Target size updates
Hi everyone,

Specifically on the Target offset exception, Michael Gower suggested an update.

“Target offset: length of the longest possible line that starts at an edge of a target (A), intersects a second edge of A, and ends at the closest edge of a second target (B).
Where a point in each target occupies the same horizontal or vertical plane the distance is measured on that axis. Where targets do not share any points in either plane, the distance is measured diagonally. The offset includes the target and spacing around the target.”

The first line is the same, the remaining updates break down like this:

Option 7 (currently in the PR)
Option 10 (new)
For horizontally aligned targets, target offset is measured with a horizontal line. For vertically aligned targets, target offset is measured with a vertical line.

Where a point in each target occupies the same horizontal or vertical plane the distance is measured on that axis.

For targets that are neither, target offset is measured diagonally

Where targets do not share points in either plane, the distance is measured diagonally.
Two targets are horizontally aligned if a horizontal line can be drawn that goes through both targets, but no vertical line can be drawn that goes through both targets. Two targets are vertically aligned if a vertical line can be drawn that goes through both targets, but no horizontal line can be drawn that goes through both targets.
The offset includes the target and spacing around the target.

It uses the concepts of “axis” and “plane” to shorten the text. The last part of option 7 seems redundant now with the updated SC text and first part of the definition.

This seems as simple and shorter to me, can anyone see a downside to that update.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--

@alastc / www.nomensa.com<http://www.nomensa.com>