Re: Content Usable pronouns and Tal

Thanks for the ping, Laura.

Indeed EOWG worked on this issue quite a bit many months ago. A primary consideration was our international audience and our focus on accessibility and people with disabilities. Unfortunately the use of they/them for an individual proved difficult for most people for whom English is not their first language, and also for some people with cognitive and language disabilities.

For EOWG documents, EOWG chose to prioritize understand-ability, and chose not to use they/them pronouns for an individual.

For the Style Guide, we left open the option for others to choose differently. See:
 https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Style#Personas_and_use_cases
There we noted issues and provided specific suggestions if other WGs decided to use they/them pronouns for an individual.

Hope that helps!
~Shawn for EOWG