Re: Focus-appearance & decorative effects

Hey Alastair,
I'm not a fan of creating a normative definition for something that's not
used in normative text. Explaining inline would be better I think.

Would something like this work:

What is perceived as the user interface component or sub-component (to
determine enclosure or size) depends on its visual presentation. The visual
presentation includes the component's visible content, border, and
component-specific background. It does not include shadow and glow effects
outside the border, background, and content of the component.

The key difference is that we explicitly only exempt shadows and glows
outside the border-box. I can't think of anything else we'd want exempt, so
perhaps we can be more constrained?

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator