From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 6:44 AM
To: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: SURVEY: WCAG 2.2 editorial updates

Hi everyone,

As we didn't get meeting time on this survey<https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/wcag22-misc2/results#xq6> I thought we could do some asynchronous updates. NB: Accessible Authentication will be in a separate email.

Question 6 & 7 were very editorial and everyone (13 people) agreed, I'll go ahead and merge those. (Full stop removed, thank you Mary Jo and Andrew!)

1. Target size - Problems with the Equivalent exception #2569

Two people didn't think the general "alternatives" applied, but having checked with two former chairs I'm confident it does. It is a tad hidden: In the understanding conformance doc<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/conformance#cc2> it says:
"Alternatives can also be provided on the same page. For example creating an equivalent to a user interface control."

Jonathan was aware of that but would still like to have it explicit in this SC.

Chair hat off: If we make that explicit in this SC then it implies other SCs can't use alternatives. I'd rather be consistent.

Chair hat on: Given that the exception is not required (according to our conformance model) would anyone object to removing it?

4. Improvement for Dragging Movement definition note #2595

This had agreement except for a question: Is it ok to include the thumbs of sliders in this list of examples?

Sliders are used a lot in the Pointer Gestures understanding document<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/understanding/pointer-gestures.html> and we've already had trouble differentiating gestures and dragging, so I think it is a good point.

Given that any "little piece of UI" is probably represented by text or an image, I propose that we just remove the last part so it is:
"Examples of draggable elements include list items, text elements, and images."

Any objections?

5. Clarification for Consistent Help, 2nd Note #2596

There were several suggested updates, taking into account the context (the rest of the note<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#h-note-31>), I though this combination worked best:

"For this Success Criterion, the same relative order can be thought of as how the content is ordered when the page is serialized. The visual position of a help mechanism is likely to be consistent across pages for the same page variation (e.g., CSS break-point). [CHANGE:] The user can cause a change, such as changing the page's zoom or orientation, which may trigger a different page variation. A visual change between page variations does mean a change of relative order."

Any objections to that?

Kind regards,

-Alastair