From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Mittwoch, 10. August 2022 00:11
To: Niemann, Gundula <gundula.niemann@sap.com>; Bradley-Montgomery, Rachael <rmontgomery@loc.gov>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Focus not obscured, and consistent help

Hi Gundula,

The difference between the AA and AAA versions of focus-not-obscured is intentional.

At the AA level it specifies the component because, in some scenarios, it is very difficult to ensure that the component and the focus indicator are visible. Sometimes it can get cut-off and the author couldn't prevent that. I can't remember the scenarios off-hand, but when they came up we settled on that compromise.

I think it also took that form from when it was combined with the focus-appearance SCs, and trying to keep the AA version reasonable.

I don't think there would be a problem with changing the AA version to specify the focus-indicator, but it also wouldn't make much (or any?) difference in practice. If anything, an outline might still be showing even if the component is obscured, so specifying the indicator slightly weakens the requirement.

Regarding consistent help, it isn't covered by consistent navigation because it is setting the scope to the help items. E.g. a phone number might be in the header, but not in navigation at all.
It is intentionally using a similar approach, but help mechanisms may not be navigation, or part of (another) navigation.

Kind regards,

-Alastair