RE: CFC - WCAG 2.2 Focus Appearance, Normative Text

Given this -1 contains a substantial argument against the SC, I would like to counter.

  *   Knowing the exact size, shape, and position of a component is essential when applying this success criterion.

That’s not true. If an author simply uses a focus outline on a well-defined component, no one need worry about the size or the shape of the component, or the area portion. The most common and arguably most effective focus indicator – an offset contrasting focus rectangle – clearly passes every time.
After trials, assessment was applied to the focus indicator itself, rather than the component (since the component measure was problematic, as you know). This made it much simpler to assess, because it is easy to tell which pixels form the focus indicator. We have consistent agreement from many reviewers about the results of those edge cases. I encourage people who are considering a -1 on this, to assess those examples against the SC wording. I also encourage them to try the SC against their own real-world work.

  *   The “area” portion is far too complex

The SC provides a LOT of discretion for the designer to do a lot of funky things to achieve clear focus appearance with something other than a focus rectangle. With great power comes great responsibility. We looked at 100s of focus indicators and assessed dozens of edge cases to see how those fared against this wording, and iterated to make the wording better.

It is significant, to me, that one now has to WORK at creating a component and focus indicator combo  that achieves a borderline result that doesn’t obviously pass or fail and thus requires those calculations. I have not seen any examples since recent updates where I have thought ‘that is a good focus indicator and it fails!’ or ‘that is a bad focus indicator and it passes!’

Just like I would check text contrast on a variable-colour background, I’m likely going to have to go through the tedious process of checking pixels. I agree it’s a dreary occupation. I haven’t heard anyone saying we should abandon text contrast because, based on crappy design decisions, it can get harder to see if it barely passes or barely fails. I do know, even before carrying out this testing, that I’d be suggesting to the designer of this indicator that it’s a borderline focus indicator and they should improve it, regardless of its pass/fail result. Same message I convey to people who insist on putting text on an image background, etc.

The area portion does not usually take much time to assess if done methodically. I commend you for coming up with an example that makes it really hard.

In your example, the focus indicator is clearly more than 4 times the short side of the component. Area size is achieved.

How about contrast of that area? We need to assess both the focus indicator itself and against adjacent colours…

You’ve elected to put your focus indicator right on top of your variable drop shadow. Nice one! Let’s all acknowledge that by doing so you’ve made the indicator less visible as well as making it tougher to assess. If you’d offset the indicator, there’d be a better indicator and an easier test. So there’s a certain justice going on here.

Focus indicator pixel contrast first…
Often this could be quick to technically confirm (if the author uses colour X for component and colour Y for a directly adjacent focus indicator, is there is a 3:1 contrast for the pixels of the indicator?) but the box-shadow blur effect obfuscates the value. What I can do from your code is determine that the thickness of the indicator is only one CSS pixel, so I know if any of your pixels fails, the indicator as a whole cannot be used for the focus area size.
Your implementation makes it necessary to find the darkest pixel of a variable drop shadow, which can be a bit tedious with an eye dropper. But my testing showed that you’ve chosen to create a scenario where there is just under 3:1 contrast between your darkest pixels and the blue of the focus indicator. So, I can’t pass the whole focus indicator. (BTW,  I suspect it should be possible to write a number of automated tests to help check indicators; it might even be possible to determine the formula used in the blur effect and project the pixel colours from that.)
Someone’s going to have to do the even more tedious task of counting how many pixels are below 3:1 and work out if the remaining is an area equal to 4x the short side. At this time I would be telling the designer that their design is so borderline it’s going to require a lot of counting to confirm it passes, and invite them to do the counting OR simply do any of the numerous obvious things to improve this focus indicator.

So there’s motivation there to make it better. If this SC goes out the window, there is ZERO motivation or criteria to help convince the designer that this is not a good focus indicator.

For contrast against adjacent colors, unless the thickness is 2 px (automatic pass) I check the inner and outer contrast. The outer is an obvious pass here, given it’s the faded part of the drop shadow. The inner non-focus indicator color contrast is 6.6:1, so no problem there. Pass on adjacent.

In regard to complexity of calculations, unlike a whole whack of existing SCs, this requirement is designed to arrive at a clear pass with good inter-rater reliability. I’d like to contrast that with some existing SC that say things like ‘provide a text equivalent’ – a completely subjective condition. When one seeks to get repeatable results for a VISUAL aspect of design,  one must by its nature end up with something that is complex, or become highly prescriptive and restrictive.

  *   3. Content authors should not be held responsible for poor browser defaults

Some have been arguing that the browser defaults are now good, thus we need to allow folks to use them. The above statement presupposes the defaults are bad. Regardless, we have two criteria excepting use of browser defaults. Where authors elect to not alter the defaults, they pass. I didn’t hear an alternative proposal for defaults that got any traction.

  *   Yet what isn’t known is how long a focus indicator should persist to mitigate this problem.

Given we don’t have the research, I think it’s sensible to be conservative and stick with the decades’ long convention that focus indicators persist.

Is this SC perfect, no? Is it a lot better than what we have now to achieve good focus indicators? Absolutely. I encourage people to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. This SC has better inter-rater reliability than the majority of our existing SCs. It offers an easy path to PASS, and for those who insist on making less visible focus indicators, it offers a way of measuring those.

Mike