Re: CFC - WCAG 2.2 Page break navigation normative text

-1

In my opinion the user need for the success criterion as written has not
been sufficiently established. While it is certainly true that for example,
students need to be able to navigate to specific pages in digital text
books, it doesn’t necessarily follow that every web page containing page
break indicators poses a significant accessibility barrier unless page
break navigation is added. For example, if the web page has only one or two
page break locators.

There is also no allowance for alternative forms of navigation within the
page, for example navigating a page by headings through a table of contents
could address the same user need. In that way the success criterion is
overly prescriptive. Unlike for example 2.4.5 Multiple Ways and 2.4.1
Bypass Blocks, which allow for different solutions.

Lastly, I believe this success criterion is a poor fit for WCAG 2.2. It is
written in such a way that it can only be applied to EPUB, regardless of
the much broader user need for inner-page navigation for large documents.
WCAG 2.2 is designed as a technology agnostic standard. Success criteria
should not be constrained to apply to only one technology.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator