Re: Visible controls

Hey Alastair,

> I hadn’t read it that way because the visible entry point is not there
based on hover/focus. It is not an instance where something can be hidden
until hover or focus (so not an exception), it is saying that the ‘visible
entry point’ is the ‘Information needed to identify user interface
components’, and it’s visible!

RIght, but the SC doesn't say it's only applicable to controls that show up
on hover or focus. It applies to all UICs, which apparently includes
components before they are even rendered. It seems to me that that is the
real problem; how can something be a user interface component; something
that is "perceived by users as a single control" before it is even
rendered? How can you perceive something that isn't in the DOM?

I know this gets a little wordy, but I think the way to fix this is to
explicitly scope this to UICs that appear on hover or focus. So you'd get
something like:

*For user interface components that appear on pointer hover or focus,
information needed to identify that user interface components is visible
without requiring pointer hover or keyboard focus, except when:*

Kind regards,

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R

Join me at axe-con <http://deque.com/axe-con> 2021: a free digital
accessibility conference.