W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > April to June 2021

Minutes of the Joint ACT- Silver - AG meeting of 14 May 2021

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 13:31:41 -0400
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>, AG WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Message-ID: <eae1b60e-be35-cc90-7d14-e6f1de2e233f@spellmanconsulting.com>
== Summary ==

  * Wilco introduced a summary of ACT rules and how they are used. 
    Jeanne gave an overview of the Outcome: "Headings organize content"
    and how it fits into the WCAG3 architecture.
  * We discussed the Outcome "Headings organize content".  We agreed
    that we needed more precise definitions to make this outcome
    testable, particularly for "logical blocks" and "sections". There
    was a concern that "section" can be confused with HTML markup
    definitions.
  * We agreed that definitions were needed (as opposed to ACT Rules) at
    the Outcome level because it is a technology neutral level and ACT
    Rules are more technology-specific.
  * We agreed that Silver and ACT would work together to make more
    precise definitions of terms in the Outcomes.
  * We did not agree about defining terms that could have definitions
    that could conflict with with other W3C and other specifications
    (such as PDF).  We ended the discussion since there was no agreement
    on the wording of the resolution.  Some felt that general terms,
    like headings were broad terms that could be defined and were needed
    for plain language understanding.  Others were concerned that the
    terms could conflict with normative definitions.  A compromise that
    we would define relationships to existing definitions in other specs
    was not acceptable to some.  Draft of the resolution that ultimately
    was not accepted by some was: "That the Outcome (technology neutral)
    level of WCAG3 have definitions of key terms. Silver will work with
    ACT to ensure definitions are precise, and will document
    relationships to existing definitions."
  * We discussed the Critical Error for "Headings organize content".  We
    discussed how to define "process" and tabled that for later
    discussion with AG and Silver.  There is a request for proposals for
    more precise definitions of "process".   Not everything will have a
    critical error.  Many thought that there should not be a critical
    error for this Outcome.
  * The next meeting will focus on Methods and inclusion of ACT rules,
    including where the rules conflict with WCAG3 Methods. We will not
    use the survey again, as many thought it was not productive in
    raising key questions to discuss.

== Questions for later ==

 1. How to determine that a heading is missing?
 2. Finding the right word for a definition is important. How do we do
    that without conflicting definitions.
 3. Should examples at the Method level move to the Outcome level? The
    example is using white space to to separate content.
 4. How to include the counting for scoring and the way different
    circumstances can be counted. What to do when the count is not the
    same across different outcomes?
 5. How to prototype the definitions so that we can see if customizable
    definitions work?
 6. How do we define process? - this should be discussed with AGWG

== Minutes ==

https://www.w3.org/2021/05/14-wcag-act-minutes.html
Received on Friday, 14 May 2021 17:31:56 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 21:08:40 UTC