From:   Michael Gower/CanWest/IBM
To:     "WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc:     Carolyn MacLeod/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Date:   2020/07/10 01:26 PM
Subject:        Selectable treeview interaction question

I'm helping a team design and plan interaction for a variety of treeview
implementations.
I had a question for the group around keyboard operation for multi-select
treeviews.

The 1.2 aria practice guide,
https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.2/#TreeView,  gives quite a bit
of information, but it is a little light on the function of Enter versus
Spacebar in regards to expected behaviour.
Simply put, in a more complex interaction where activations and/or
selections in the treeview cause other views to update, what challenges
are faced by making Spacebar only be a method of selection/deselection,
with Enter being assigned an activation role?

I'd welcome any stories or examples folks can provide. Ones I've
encountered so far include:
- feature selection during an application installation
- an explorer-like UI, where the activating a node in the treeview updates
the view in the different view (frame, pane, etc), while selecting one of
more nodes in the true provides an ability to carry out an action against
the selected item(s), such as delete.

Thanks for any thoughts/considerations. I'm particularly interested in
issues caused by OS differences (and how to overcome them). For instance,
my understanding is that in some such interactions, OSX applications will
use Enter as the select and spacebar as activation-- the complete opposite
of what what I'd consider the 'normal' experience.

Michael Gower
Senior Consultant in Accessibility
IBM Design

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
cellular: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034