Re: notes for silver conformance models discussion

Hi All

I'd like to make a couple of comments on these two proposals.

=== Multiple Currencies (no exchange rate ) ===

In the proposal there would be one measurement for the baseline
requirements and another for going above and beyond. While I think that
there is a compelling case for this, experience in the field seems to show
that most organizations will not do the "above and beyond" stuff, unless it
is either mandated or part of the baseline.

I think that in a certain sense we already have a system of multiple
currencies. Most jurisdictions require AA conformance in law or policy,
while AAA is optional. I don't know any organizations (that are not in the
accessibility business) that voluntarily do AAA criteria.
So the second currency of "above and beyond" is not likely to get
implemented in most organizations and will likely be ignored.

On the other hand there are many best practices which I've seen mandated in
law suits (adjacent links to same location, properly nested headings,
warning before opening a new window, etc.) which are not *required* by WCAG
(only suggested by WCAG) but they get done because people "think" they are
required by WCAG.

==Adjectives==

I'm attracted to the idea of adjectives because:

   - Scores can be inaccurate and can be arbitrary, but they give
   an illusion of precision (73%). Lately I've been on a project
   evaluating commercial crawlers and they usually have some sore of scoring
   metric. These are useful for showing progress over time, but rarely
   accurately reflect the accessibility of the page evaluated. There are very
   smart people working on those algorithms.
   - Scores are hard to calculate
   - Scores can be hard to teach
   - Score calculation methodologies can be hard to understand
   - Scores require counting all the pass instances which doubles or
   triples the evaluation effort for auditors
   - adjectives have precedence and are used in scoring many formal metrics
   in society. Some universities (A-F) each has an adjective. Performance
   appraisals, etc...

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*