RE: CFC - Publication of WCAG 2.2 FPWD

+1 to publishing
+1 to Wilco’s concern about moving 2.4.7 from AA to A – At an absolute minimum, this needs to be clearly called out in the 2.2 FPWD and possibly in 2.4.7 also.


From: Wilco Fiers <>
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 11:43 AM
To: Alastair Campbell <>
Cc: WCAG list <>
Subject: Re: CFC - Publication of WCAG 2.2 FPWD


I have a few concerns with this draft:

- I noticed 2.4.7 was changed from Level AA to Level A. I apologies if I missed the conversation on this. It's a little hard participating in this group without attending the calls, but I try. I've brought this up in the past though, and I want to repeat my concern. I do not think WCAG should change existing success criteria in new versions. If AG agrees a change is necessary, I think an errata is the right way to do this. (Please let me know if you'd like me to explain this further.)

- The "success criterion" (and "guideline") text was removed from the headings. This creates a document that is no longer explicit about what things are success criteria. If we're removing this from the heading (which I'm not against), we'll need to add a definition of success criterion, or some normative section that says what is and what isn't a success criterion.

- In 1.4.13 the word "Dismissable" was changed to "Dismissible". Similar to my first comment, a change like that should in my opinion be done in an errata, not in a new working draft. Otherwise it creates different variations of the same success criterion between different versions of WCAG.


On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 3:47 PM Alastair Campbell <<>> wrote:
Call For Consensus - ends Thursday 6th February at 11am Boston time.

This call is to approve the publication of WCAG 2.2 as the First Public Working Draft.

The current draft is available here:<>

The approach for WCAG 2.2 is to add only the items that have been agreed, and so far the Working Group has agreed to include Focus Visible (Enhanced) to the WCAG 2.2 working draft:

Future decisions / CFCs would add more to the working draft, but this CFC is about permission to publish this first version.

If you have concerns about this proposed consensus position that have not been discussed already and feel that those concerns result in you "not being able to live with" this decision, please let the group know before the CfC deadline.

Kind regards,


--<><<>> / @alastc

Wilco Fiers
Axe for Web product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R

Received on Wednesday, 5 February 2020 17:58:57 UTC