RE: WCAG 2.2 status - Visual indicators

Hi Alastair, it would pass if it provides one on its own -- my proposal is that if the sample styling isn’t displayed when applied then it can pass by providing it itself directly or via some mechanism like toggle.

Jonathan

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:26 PM
To: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>; Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: WCAG 2.2 status - Visual indicators

I’d just point out there can be some valid cases where people hide the accessible version of a control.

For example, the BBC radio player (in the video link from before) uses a slider (visually & with mouse) for the volume. ARIA based sliders don’t currently work in mobile ATs which is (I assume) why they implemented tab-able buttons in the background to set the volume at different levels.

From the SC text for the CSS-adaptable one, it doesn’t ‘break’, and it does provide a visual indicator of it’s own, so I assume it would pass.

But I would note that as a user, it was odd that most controls took on *my* defined styles (a dark & yellow highlight), including the siblings of the volume control. I’d guess that some COGA folk might assume it was not a control, because it didn’t have the ‘usual’ highlighting. That is the point of the pluggin after all.
[cid:image002.jpg@01D5CC72.E0A8BAF0]

Including text to fail that situation would effectively ban non-standard controls, so I don’t see a way around that aspect.

-Alastair