Re: WCAG 2.2 status - Visual indicators

RE: “Finding a control is based on the desire to achieve something, not the recognition of what is interactive.”
& “The process is:

  *   I want to do something (e.g. message someone in IRC, rate a product etc.)
  *   I scan the interface for that thing.
  *   I click/select the first thing that might achieve that.”

Also true: Finding a control is based on the desire to understand what is possible, not the completion of a pre-considered task.
The process is:

  *   I followed a link and ended up here
  *   I scan the interface for what is possible
  *   I tap/click/select the thing that matches my interest and clearly indicates I can

I don’t think the SC needs to make assumptions on user intent. It simply needs to solve the problem – understanding what the icon means. The proposed AA / AAA wording is much closer to something I could support, but would still prefer to see techniques for the mechanism where hover, focus, click or keypress are also understood (have clear affordance).

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect
Invited Expert, W3C Accessibility Guidelines Working Group

(he//him)
charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com>
W +1.248.203.8723
M +1.248.225.8179
360 W Maple, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Cannes Network of the Year
Effie’s Most Creatively Effective Global Network 2018, 2019
Adweek 2019 Global Agency of the Year
IPG Agency Inclusion Vanguard – Agency of the Year 2019