RE: WCAG 2.2 status - Icon Description

+1 to Charles’ comments.

Brooks

From: Hall, Charles (DET-MRM) <Charles.Hall@mrm-mccann.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:43 AM
To: Abma, J.D. (Jake) <Jake.Abma@ing.com>; Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>; WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: WCAG 2.2 status - Icon Description

I honestly greatly appreciate the devil’s advocate.
Here, I would absolutely “go against these patterns”.

What you describe and show (in this and other examples) has a typical defense from visual designers that there exists a pattern affordance – that people will recognize that individual elements are actionable based on the alignment, proximity and position in view. However, there is sufficient evidence that this is a false assumption – particularly with people with cognitive disabilities or low vision. The only affordance in this row of icons is that one of them has a notification badge with a count. The fact that it differs from the others now provides an indication that the difference must mean something.

An icon alone does not indicate action.
An icon in a row of icons still does not indicate action.

“The presence of an affordance is jointly determined by the qualities of the object and the abilities of the agent that is interacting.” — Don Norman

Learning how something works after using it is unfavorable, but not unreasonable. However, when there is zero affordance, how does one learn that? Is there evidence from COGA that acting upon an icon to reveal a text description of the icon solves the original problem?

This SC is simply about displaying a text description of an icon.
The ideal and recommended method is display it always. As Luke Wroblewski illustrates from a decade or research, “Obvious always wins.” But the SC provides the author with the choice of a mechanism to display it. That is fine, but raises a lot of challenges with and significantly limits techniques that can provide such a mechanism that conforms with other SCs and does not interfere with the original action.

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect
Invited Expert, W3C Accessibility Guidelines Working Group

(he//him)
charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com>
W +1.248.203.8723
M +1.248.225.8179
360 W Maple, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mrm-2Dmccann.com_&d=DwMGaQ&c=4ZIZThykDLcoWk-GVjSLmy8-1Cr1I4FWIvbLFebwKgY&r=W3VUihr49D2x8upR4FtjMIsy0FSGEnqb4ghTiQJMtRw&m=DfZ11o_oy_AeZ16TlwkUigdH44kk9QOfvSDOernLeck&s=gja843Qw8Pr4Sr_EyVZBsrmla3BuuW6IU7dd2kE5xq0&e=>

[MRM//McCann]
Cannes Network of the Year
Effie’s Most Creatively Effective Global Network 2018, 2019
Adweek 2019 Global Agency of the Year
IPG Agency Inclusion Vanguard – Agency of the Year 2019