Re: WCAG 2.2 status - Icon Description

Tap describes one available method. However for instances of icons that are a child of an actionable element, that method fires a pointer event that would have to prevent the default; defer the time to response; or require an additional element for the original intended action.

Touch screens actually have more available actions than fewer. They lack hover, match focus, but gain long touch, force touch and gestures.

The idea of an external toggle is similar to other preference controls like contrast modes or text size adjustments. Not a recommendation, but a plausible method. That would extend to a method that could be queried, like prefers-icon-labels that could globally toggle the display state of the text description.

My primary concerns are:

  1.  the user’s context (could be {n} instance and not first)
  2.  lack of affordance to indicate there is a description available
  3.  complications where the icon is a child of an action (like link, button, tab or has popup)

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect
Invited Expert, W3C Accessibility Guidelines Working Group

(he//him)
charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com>
W +1.248.203.8723
M +1.248.225.8179
360 W Maple, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Cannes Network of the Year
Effie’s Most Creatively Effective Global Network 2018, 2019
Adweek 2019 Global Agency of the Year
IPG Agency Inclusion Vanguard – Agency of the Year 2019