Re: CfC - Add Focus Visible (Enhanced) to WCAG 2.2 draft

Hey all,

I have some concerns with this one. I seem to have missed the proposal of
this earlier, so apologies for not getting this feedback in earlier. It
seems to me that these requirements, while reasonable for outlines, are
unintentionally strict when it comes to how dealing with different
background colors.

1. Buttons where a change in background color is used to indicate focus. In
this scenario, the new SC requires that the background of the unfocused
button and the background of the focused button have a contrast difference
of 3:1. The text is required to have a contrast of 4.5:1 to both
background. Without inverting the text color (going from black to white, or
white to black), this is a very difficult requirement to meet. Far stricter
than seems necessary for something as noticeable as a background change.

2. Buttons with a dark background, surrounded by a white background, using
an outline to indicate focus. In this scenario the outline is required to
have a 3:1 contrast ratio with both the dark background, as well as the
white surroundings. There is a range of colors that is too dark for a
darker outline to meet the requirement, and too light for an outline to be
both 3:1 to the background color, and 3:1 to a white background. Not
allowing outline (without offset) for an entire range of colors suggests to
me this is too strict. I'm guessing this was unintentional?

I'm including images of the two scenarios below for sighted folks: (alt= 8
buttons with various outline and focus changes, see description above.)

[image: Screenshot 2019-12-06 19.35.51.png]

If I'm alone on my concerns about this, feel free to just take this as
early feedback to the draft. I wanted to bring it up because it seems like
an oversight to me.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe for Web product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R