Re: Accessible authentication

Hi Alastair, John, and all,

Thanks to John for his tireless work on this SC. The following is an
example from the University of Minnesota (UMN).

The UMN requires 2-factor authentication at sign-in:
https://it.umn.edu/technology/duo-two-factor-authentication

First, a person must enter a passphrase. Then they need to a verify
their identity with a device.

I have attached 3 screenshots to this email that illustrates the
process. They are:

1. passphrase-sign-in-screenshot.png

The first Passphrase screenshot illustrates that a person needs to
enter their internet ID (user name) and password (passphrase).

A year ago the UMN began requiring a less-complex set of password
rules (pass phrases).
https://it.umn.edu/good-practice/create-secure-memorable-passphrase

A checkbox is available to reset/recover a password (passphrase).

2. recover-passphrase-screenshot.png

The 2nd recover passphrase illustrates that to recover a password (if
needed) a person would enter their Internet ID (user name) or
alternate email address and then:

* Answer password reset questions.
* Or enter their account’s alternate email address.
* If they have not set up a password reset question or cannot access
an alternate email, they would need to phone Technology Help for
assistance.

3. device-sign-in-screenshot.png

The 3rd screenshot illustrates that a person needs to select a device
to authenticate with Duo. In this case an Android device is selected.
(Other options in this case were landlines and mobile phones.)

Then they need to choose an authentication method:

* Duo Push (Recommended)
https://it.umn.edu/duo-use-duo-mobile-app#push
* Call Me
* Passcode
https://it.umn.edu/duo-generate-use-bypass-code

A checkbox is available to remember the person  for 7 days.

Note: If a landline had been chosen as the device a person could have
duo call that line and then they would have to press any key on that
phone. Alternatively they could enter a "Passcode", which is a 9 digit
number that the person needs to generate in advance.

Help options on all 3 screenshots include:

* Technology Help Website
https://it.umn.edu/technology-help-our-staff
* Call a Phone Number
* Chat Online