Essential Controls - approach

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 06:58:25 +0000
To: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
CC: Rachael Bradley Montgomery <rachael@accessiblecommunity.org>
Hi everyone,

In the call yesterday we were discussing ‘Essential Controls’, and struggling with how to apply the visual aspect. I.e. making sure important controls like main nav & ‘next’ buttons are obvious and easily available.

There is a programmatic approach using the simplification attribute [1], but that will be dependent on the personalisation spec, and won’t meet the user-need in practice for some time.

Rachael and I have struggled to find the right wording for the scope, including things which should be, excluding things that would be unhelpful. Rachael has written up a short discussion document with examples:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q1XyKlpVp6u7MwdQ4bSB7kMwia9TGkO48UVwN2szB9c/edit#<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q1XyKlpVp6u7MwdQ4bSB7kMwia9TGkO48UVwN2szB9c/edit>

Please do have a look, and you have any suggestions then comment in the doc or email Rachael & me.

If we don’t make progress in that direction, we’ll fallback to the programmatic approach in a few weeks.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

1] https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/#simplification-explanation