Re: Focus visible (enh) update

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:05:23 +0000
To: "Schnabel, Stefan" <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi Stefan,

> Not really. There are also controls and scenarios that render the actual focus INSIDE the control.

Of course, that isn’t an issue here though. What we are discussing it the minimum surface area to set that a focus indicator should meet/exceed.

  1.  The original proposal was:

1px multiplied by the longest side of the component.
E.g. a 20x100px button would need a 100 squared px surface area focus indicator.

  1.  The update is:

2px multiplied by the longest side of the component.
E.g. a 20x100px button would be 200px squared.

  1.  A potential update is:

1px multiplied by the perimeter of the component.
E.g. a 20x100px button would be 240px squared.

An interesting impact of the last one would be that a 1px outline inside the component would not meet that 3rd proposal, as by definition it would be slightly smaller than a line outside of the component:
[Two buttons with a 1px border. The second button has an  focus style of a 1px dark outline inside the outer border.](second button being focused)

That may be counter intuitive for many people, so I’m leaning towards the current (2nd) proposal.

Cheers,

-Alastair

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)