Re: Proposed amendment to 1.4.11 for WCAG 2.2

+1 to an editorial change in 2.2

 > When Alastair was explaining his perspective on it... He said that the
focus indicator could basically be ignored for 1.4.11 because it becomes
part of the control as soon as the control has focus.

FWIW, I have never agreed with Alastair's interpretation there, because
focus indication (and contrast) is (should be?) primarily between the
control *and the background*, and not between the control itself in various
states (although that too can be a consideration). Alastair's
interpretation allows for a white 'control' (for example a radio button) on
a "blue" background, where in Chrome and Safari the native focus indication
is also blue - thus you cannot see the focus indication. I documented this
a while back: http://john.foliot.ca/demos/focuscolor.html

JF

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:55 PM Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 16/10/2019 17:04, David MacDonald wrote:
> [...]
> > CURRENT
> > "Visual information required to identify user interface components
> > ***and*** states...
> >
> > SUGGESTED
> > Visual information required to identify user interface components ***in
> > all their*** states
>
> I'll admit that I've always understood the current one to mean the same
> as the suggested one, but I can see how it could be misread. As it
> doesn't change the (intended) meaning of the SC, this should be a
> straightforward enough non-substantive change of normative wording.
>
> +1
>
> --
> Patrick H. Lauke

*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good
deque.com