Proposed amendment to 1.4.11 for WCAG 2.2

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 12:04:00 -0400
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, AGWG Chairs <group-ag-chairs@w3.org>, Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi All

In discussions regarding the new proposed success criterion for WCAG
2.2 around focus indicators, I had a discussion with Alastair about what
the requirements of 1.4.11. When Alastair was explaining his perspective on
it I believe he said that user interface components should have contrast
***in all of their states***. He said that the focus indicator could
basically be ignored for 1.4.11 because it becomes part of the control as
soon as the control has focus.
I think the current language could be clarified in 2.2 without changing its
meaning. Here's a suggestion based on our conversation. This might help
clarify some of the confusion that people reading the document have. And I
think it'll give us a little bit more to hang onto in the understanding
document.

CURRENT
"Visual information required to identify user interface components
***and*** states...

SUGGESTED
Visual information required to identify user interface components ***in all
their*** states

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*