Re: WCAG 2.2 - tightened requirements approach

Hey Alastair,

Even small changes to existing things can have substantial downstream
effects. Case and point, the IDs of success criteria changed between WCAG
2.0 and 2.1. This has caused a number of problems. The quickref now needs
to account for the same SC having multiple success criteria. And tools that
use RDF for reporting, such as the WCAG-EM Report Tool, are now going to
need to maintain mappings between different versions of WCAG. That's just
not a great use of time, and could have been avoided.

The world has been building tools for WCAG 2 for 11 years. For WCAG 2.1
we've all had to figure out how we're going to add success criteria. Most
tools have this capability at this point. Deprecating something just means
removing it, that should be fairly straight forward for anyone. Changing an
SC however is a far more substantial change. For Deque, it would likely
require architectural changes to several of our products. I imagine it's
the same thing for others. It's something I'd like to avoid if we can.

As for how you'd present a deprecated success criterion. My suggestion
would be to include the number and descriptor, but hide the text behind a
"deprecated. This criterion has been superseded by X.Y.Z. See text" type of
button. Just so that there isn't a gap in numbering and it's clear what
happened.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe product owner - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair ACT-R / Auto-WCAG