From: Wayne Dick [mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 6:03 PM
To: Garry Grant
Cc: Mike Elledge; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; Patrick H. Lauke; Dalton Grant; Kim Grant; Amber Grant; Dustin Garland
Subject: Re: Vertical vs. horizontal scrolling on a mobile device

There are two kinds of scrolling: page or column scrolling, and inline scrolling. An app that goes from page to page or column to column as in ebooks, carousels and data tables is harmless. It is what happens inside the page or column content that is a barrier to reading. When you have to scroll to read information within a line of text then your scrolling causes the reader to lose context, forget past content on lines, have difficulty navigating from line to line and take between 50-150 times the number of scrolls that required by pure page or column scrolling.

So the problematic scrolling is not vertical or horizontal, but inline scrolling. Inline scrolling is bad vertically or horizontally. It is just a barrier to reading.

Best, Wayne