From: Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 5:25 AM
To: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: CFC - Focus for Working Group

-1

I disagree with the premise all together, that WCAG 2.2 and Silver are wholly separate ventures, that need to have time split between them. If all of the thousands of hours that have gone into WCAG 2.0 and 2.1 are going to be binned, and Silver is written entirely from scratch, if all the decisions made for WCAG 2 have to be renegotiated, then Silver will take a very long time, and is at serious risk of never finishing at all.

I look at it from a software architecture perspective. If you want to rebuild a system, you don't just bin the whole thing and start from scratch. Project like that always take too long, and more often than not end up failing because they are over engineered, and not scoped properly. I'm concerned this will also happen to Silver.

I don't think we should treat Silver and WCAG 2.2 as separate projects. I think a better idea would be to come up with a transition plan. Modernise for WCAG 2.2, in such a way that that work can be used as part of Silver. That way the many of the benefits Silver can bring will be available sooner, and the effort put into WCAG 2.2 criteria doesn't detract from work in Silver (since it will be reused).

Just my 2p