Re: Code in Pre should not be a failure at this time. (Reflow 1.4.10)

From: Joshue O Connor - InterAccess <josh@interaccess.ie>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 11:07:42 +0000
To: Eric Eggert <ee@w3.org>
CC: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "alistair.duggin@digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk" <alistair.duggin@digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk>
Eric Eggert wrote:
> While I think the creator of the content needs to decide how to make
> the code readable, the best advice for now might be to use |word-wrap:
> break-word;| on |<pre>| in small viewports to avoid horizontal
> scrolling at all.
Thanks for that practical tip Eric. So is it safe to say as a a
potential basis for a 'warning' to devs that want to satisfy Reflow
1.4.10 the following (based on your example)?

*Use of <pre> formatted content (such as code) can cause horizontal
scrolling. Using the CSS declarations such as word-wrap: break-word; on
<pre> in small viewports will help to avoid horizontal scrolling at all. *

Thanks in advance.

--
Joshue O Connor
Director | InterAccess.ie