Re: What is a failure of 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose?

Yes the reason this technique got consensus is that it provided "some
value" today, which is laid out in the understanding as making it easier to
fill out fields. The technique relies on browsers that support
autocomplete, so a company could not say "we rely on IE version x for our
conformance statement" if they have form fields collecting info about an
end user.

I advocated consensus for this SC and the autocomplete technique not upon
its aspirational hope, but on its current benefits. I hope there is success
with this area and support its future.

I also would *not* advocate consensus for a new sufficient technique that
doesn't have any current benefit and is purely aspirational until
technology comes along to do something with it for the end user, because
that would be in violation of WCAG 2/2.1 accessibility supported normative
requirement.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*