RE: Bug: Firefox Accessibility Inspector reports placeholder attribute as eligible for accessible name

> And, in Firefox and Chrome at least (possibly others, no time to test) the placeholder IS exposed by the browser as the input's programmatically determinable / accessible name. So how is it failing?

If the placeholder is exposed as the name but doesn't provide a name for the field but rather an example value then it would fail some SC because the programmatic name isn't a name but rather something else.  In the same we would fail an input for date who's aria-label was "mm/dd/yyyy".

Jonathan Avila

> Code snippet: <input type="text"  name="first"  placeholder="First Name"
> id="first">
> I believe it fails both
>
>   * 1.3.1 Info and Relationships
>       o (based on F68
>         https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20161007/F68

>         <https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20161007/F68>)

That techniques relates to programmatically determinable name. It's
related to 4.1.2, not 1.3.1 ?

And, in Firefox and Chrome at least (possibly others, no time to test)
the placeholder IS exposed by the browser as the input's
programmatically determinable / accessible name. So how is it failing?

>   * 2.5.3 Label in Name
>       o because the placeholder text fails to be the accessible name
>         based on F68

But I'd say it doesn't fail...

Patrick H. Lauke