From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: 27 February 2018 21:40
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: stommepoes@stommepoes.nl
Subject: Security of Autocomplete - Good News!

Greetings all,

On today's call, I took the action to respond to Issue #775<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/775>. Before responding, I needed / wanted to do some basic testing myself.

I have created two forms that both include all 53 of the current @autocomplete tokens. The first form (https://john.foliot.ca/demos/autofill.php) uses input type="text" for all 53 inputs, and submitting the form echo's back the data being captured in the form fields. (Go ahead, give it a whirl.)

I have also created a second form, but this time I changed the bulk of the inputs to type="hidden" (I left the name-related fields as type="text", as most browsers and helper apps need at least "Name" to trigger the autocomplete functionality). The second form can be found at:   https://john.foliot.ca/demos/autofill_hidden.php

My basic testing confirms that when a field input is marked as "hidden", the autocomplete functionality is removed or otherwise disabled by the browsers to preserve user security. I have not done any further (advanced) testing, and so I cannot rule out the possibility of rogue sites using other scripted methods<https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/11/15/no-boundaries-exfiltration-of-personal-data-by-session-replay-scripts/> to try and attempt to override this security feature. We likely need to add a comment in the Understanding document noting this fact (maybe?).

I am in need of testing assistance for the OSX platform, as well as iOS. If you care to help, please ping me off-line.

Based upon these test results, I will craft a response for Issue 775 later today.

​JF
--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist