2.2.6 Timeouts versus 2.2.1 Timing Adjustable

I said I'd look into possible editorial changes to 2.2.6 to help contrast
between it and the pre-existing 2.2.1, since the new one is difficult to
differentiate.

The problem I'm finding with my testing is that there is no stricture in
2.2.6 about when users are warned. So if authors meet 2.2.1 through
"Extend", all they need do to meet 2.2.6 is to include the time remaining
in the warning, and both SCs seem to be covered.

However, there are some differences between the two SCs, which still make
the SC valuable:
1) The real-time and essential exceptions which exist in 2.2.1 do not
exist in 2.2.6. Therefore, while it is possible to entirely bypass 2.2.1's
turn off/adjust/extend requirements, 2.2.6 still requires a user be warned
of data loss due to inactivity. This means that where business rules
requiring a time-out could in 2.2.1 effectively result in a user losing
data with no warning at all, 2.2.6 will now require the user to be warned
in some way.
2) As mentioned, 2.2.6 requires the warning include the duration of user
inactivity.  If any of the first three 2.2.1 options are used to meet the
SC, they would each require a clear conveyance of duration to meet 2.2.6.
So at the least vague terms such as "you are about to run out of time..."
should be replaced by concrete information, such as "Your session will end
in 5 minutes..."

Finally, there are also some meaningful philosophical differences between
the two that can be covered in an Understanding document. I believe best
practices can promote that the user should be warned before (or at the
time) each timer is set, and that saving data needs to be discrete where
multiple timers are imposed in a process. The current draft of the
Understanding doc touches on this already to some degree.
Post-TPAC language produced the following wording.

Where data can be lost due to user inactivity, users are warned before an
activity timer is set about the estimated length of inactivity that
generates the data loss, unless the data is preserved for a minimum of 20
hours of user inactivity.

I have cc'ed Lisa, who objected to this phrase at the time of its
rejection, and Rachael who managed the SC, to ensure they are aware of
this discussion that their concerns are captured as part of the best
practice wording.

For background, the wording of the two SCs are below.

2.2.6:
Users are warned of the duration of any user inactivity that could cause
data loss, unless the data is preserved for more than 20 hours when the
user does not take any actions.

2.2.1
For each time limit that is set by the content, at least one of the
following is true: (Level A)
Turn off: The user is allowed to turn off the time limit before
encountering it; or
Adjust: The user is allowed to adjust the time limit before encountering
it over a wide range that is at least ten times the length of the default
setting; or
Extend: The user is warned before time expires and given at least 20
seconds to extend the time limit with a simple action (for example, "press
the space bar"), and the user is allowed to extend the time limit at least
ten times; or
Real-time Exception: The time limit is a required part of a real-time
event (for example, an auction), and no alternative to the time limit is
possible; or
Essential Exception: The time limit is essential and extending it would
invalidate the activity; or
20 Hour Exception: The time limit is longer than 20 hours.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034