RE: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

+1

I’m with Katie on this point.

Brooks

From: Katie Haritos-Shea [mailto:ryladog@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:32 AM
To: AlastairCampbell
Cc: David MacDonald; Joshue O Connor; lisa.seeman; WCAG
Subject: Re: Use of ARIA to satisfy 'Identify common purpose' SC

Yep, that is what I am saying. Put off these two SCs, redo SC to address the user need, and point to a spec designed to do just that, when that is ready-ish

On Feb 21, 2018 2:59 AM, "Alastair Campbell" <acampbell@nomensa.com<mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com>> wrote:
Katie wrote:
> HTML already has autocomplete, and its growing support, for  assisting all users in filling out common form fields. That is a very important - but different issue.

It is a sub-set of the user-need / requirement. Programmatic identification of purpose is the mechanism, and autocomplete fulfills a small set of the possible purposes.

Would it be better if we could rely on the personalisation spec and just point to that? I think so, but it isn’t ahead of WCAG 2.1 enough for that.

>  This is a problem the W3C needs to find a solution to overall. Personalization is the same issue-ish but is more discrete, in that the solution needs to provide the 'right' functionality for a given USER.

The W3C way (these days) appears to be “standardise after implementation”, so the process should be:
- Work in a community group to start the spec.
- Get implementors on board so there are two interoprable implementations (on the UA side).
- Standardise the spec.
- *Then* WCAG could point to it.

Without the personalisation semantics spec being at least in CR before WCAG 2.1, it isn’t an option, so we need a more widely supported mechanism. Or put it off to the next version.

Cheers,

-Alastair