Re: viewport/browser window size does not imply presence/lack of touch input...

On 16/01/2018 19:32, David MacDonald wrote:

>>  there's always the option ... of offering users an actual choice to switch between different sizes.
>
> ​I think the "Equivalent"​ exception allows that. No?

Does "equivalent" allow for something the user actively enabled/disabled
(through a switch, preference, or other mechanism)?

Also, what about zooming? It's a mechanism that allows users to make
things (including target sizes) bigger, and it's built into most (all?)
current browsers...

> ​> ​
> There are large laptop/desktop-size touch displays.

> ​ would assume these would have larger targets if everything is bigger,
> which mitigates any negative consequences of them being exempted.

I was meaning "large" not necessarily in terms of physical size, but CSS
pixels. There's no correlation between a monitor (or user agent/browser
viewport/window size) size in pixels (which is what breakpoints would be
based on) and their actual physical size (which you can't test for, of
course).

>  >
> CSS 4 Interaction MQs, JavaScript based approaches
>
> How mature is this technology? I'm ok with it if it actually works ...

https://caniuse.com/#search=interaction%20media%20features

It's more mature than some other things I've seen discussed on the list
(like theoretical tools that may or may not understand "common purpose"
and do something useful with it).

And of course there are programmatic ways to detect the type of input
the user is using right at this very moment, like
https://github.com/ten1seven/what-input

> ... almost every site these days has breakpoints,

Breakpoints based on width/height, because they need to arrange content
best to fit the available width/height. But looking at width/height and
inferring from THAT that a particular input is present or not is not the
way to go about it. You don't test for one thing and then assume that
means another thing.

Patrick H. Lauke