Re: Finding agreement on common purpose

On 16/01/2018 15:31, David MacDonald wrote:
>> It was dropped a while ago due to internationalisation issues,
>
> I agree languages other than English would be precarious. However, if an
> English author wants to use the appropriate "purpose" as the label, I
> don't think they should be punished by also having to add redundant
> metadata.

It's not "redundant". It needs to be part of a restricted set of
machine-readable tokens to be...well...machine-readable. Otherwise, you
enter the realm of heuristics again (where hypothetical tools that
hypothetically do something useful based on a control/element's purpose
need to guess what the purpose is based on natural language processing
or similar).

>  >it would limit the terms that people could use in labels, which was
> not acceptable.
>
> No, it would cause them to have to add metadata to provide that proper
> "purpose" term.

Alastair is right: authors would need to carefully craft their
labels/accnames to make sure they trigger the right heuristics (and then
that would require testing in all sorts of user agents, to make sure
their natural language processing reacts consistently).

> I think the AT should be able to figure this out...

How? Machine learning?

Patrick H. Lauke