Re: Possible wording for 1.3.4?

> Also, it seems like that HTML 5.2 list has some "meanings" that were not
in our list... do we want to widen the requirements for those additional
ones listed in the spec, but not on our culled down list.

In discussion yesterday, I had suggested adding this (somewhere - in the SC
or Understanding Document) that noted the following:

>From the HTML 5 Recommendation:
    "Some fields correspond to subparts of other fields; for example, a
credit card expiry date can be expressed as one field giving both the month
and year of expiry ("cc-exp"), or as two fields, one giving the month
("cc-exp-month") and one the year ("cc-exp-year"). In such cases, the names
of the broader fields cover multiple rows, in which the narrower fields are
defined.

     Generally, authors are encouraged to use the broader fields rather
than the narrower fields, as the narrower fields tend to expose Western
biases. For example, while it is common in some Western cultures to have a
given name and a family name, in that order (and thus often referred to as
a first name and a surname), many cultures put the family name first and
the given name second, and many others simply have one name (a mononym).
Having a single field is therefore more flexible."

NOTE: Should authors decide to use more specific input field (e.g. using
first name and family name inputs), authors are required to use the
equivalent and corresponding values found in the HTML 5 specification:
https://www.w3.org/TR/html52/sec-forms.html#sec-autofill

David, would that address your question?

(Note to Alex Li: I double-checked yesterday, and both the WHAT WG version
and W3C version of these values are identical in every detail, so I would
propose pointing to the W3C version.)

JF

--
John Foliot