Re: a suggestion for Personalization Semantics

> I agree, it would not be a failure...

Which is why you cannot add a new Failure Technique to 1.3.1 mandating
landmarks. I feel your pain brother, but do it the right way - introduce a
new SC that disambiguates 1.3.1 w.r.t. region navigation, then bring on
your Technique(s).

The Charter for WCAG 2.1 was very clear - no retroactive changes to the
existing WCAG 2.0 - and like it or not, we have existing text that states
that meeting a Failure Technique means you are non-compliant - square that
circle and we're good to go.

> AC: Then *we need a mechanism to separate techniques and failures that
apply from 2.1 onwards*.

*I would be fully supportive of something like that*, as long as we all
recognize that it also makes Techniques quasi-normative in the process... I
would not oppose that either, but any move that retroactively changes the
requirements for 2.0 compliance I will oppose strongly (and I've not
changed that position since this first came up in discussion)
​.​

​> AC: it would fail our SC requirements to not over-lap with other SC.

However, it's not 'overlapping' - it's extending, in a fashion similar to
SC 1.4.11 Graphics Contrast.

Today, many of us advise our clients that iconography, while not covered by
2.0, SHOULD also meet a minimum color contrast as well, as those icons are
"calls to action" and need to be Perceivable. It is my opinion that we have
a similar situation here with Landmarks, and the precedent for introducing
a new SC to cover known or perceived gaps in existing SC has already been
established.
​
JF