Re: SC 1.4.11

> It could be inside, outside, doing the hockey kokey, but it is *of *the
component.

But, you left off the second (important) part of the definition:

        States do not affect the nature of the component, but
*​​represent data associated with the component* or user interaction
​         ​
possibilities. Examples include focus, hover, select, press, check,
visited/unvisited, and expand/collapse.
​

So,

   1. States do not affect the nature of the component
   2. States represent data *associated *with the component (but not *OF*
   the component, because *states do not affect the nature of the component*
   ...)

Thus, I disagree with your interpretation. States are separate things from
components (so says our normative definition), and states can also be
styled independent of the component, so yes, they are associated or
related, but they remain separate no matter how you try to get around that
fact. I mean, why else do we call them out and define them independently of
"Component" in the exception language if they aren't different?

> This feels like it should be the same kind of thing: if you use a default
you should be ok.

Sure, if you stick to *ALL* the defaults, you get to claim the exception.
But when you change *one* default, you should also be expected to make any
other downstream changes required to meet the Perceivable requirement.

It's a *collection of "defaults"* that are required to meet this contrast
need: the component's color, the background page or section color, and the
focus indication.

Contrast, by it's very definition requires at least 2 parts: *Thing A*
which contrasts with *Thing B*. If you modify one (Thing A), then you are
responsible for the "collection" (Thing B, and if necessary, Things C, D,
and E), *as they are all inter-related.*

That the *default focus highlight* color on the *default background color*
in Chrome and Safari today still fail our SC is of course a concern, and
absolutely we need to file bugs and ask the browser vendors to step up, but
even if they did, and increased the "baby blue" halo to #0000FF, if you as
an author then set the page background to #0000FF you have deliberately
modified one default, which has a direct and negative impact on the other
(focus indication) default. You don't get to claim an exemption there
because it's "the default" (because ya, it's the default *IN CONTRAST* to
the default background - you change one, you have to change the other).

Alastair, you've previously asserted that many sites start with a basic CSS
declaration: body {background: #FFF;}

Why do they do that? I'll assert they want to be unequivocally sure that
the background color is ALWAYS white - they aren't relying on browser
defaults, they are being explicit. So, by extension, I am advocating that
we apply the same reasoning and guidance to this other, critical color (or
multiple colors as required) CSS declaration, to be unequivocally sure
focus contrast is always met. Laid out that way, I simply cannot see a
designer rejecting that logic, and due to the nature of WCAG 2.1 the new SC
are at best Best Practices for at least another year (if the EU goes
forward as planned), and likely longer in North America. We have the time
to teach this right.

The danger in being too loose in our interpretation is that we'll have
content "sliding" on the liberal interpretation of the exception, and
simple things to fix being "forgiven" due to a loop-hole in interpretation.

On the other hand, if we are specific, explicit and clear on both the
intent and expectation (via our Understanding and Techniques documents),
then we are in a situation where we are explicitly guiding designers
towards the real goal: *you can always see where visible tab focus is.*

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist