Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11 part 2

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 09:12:59 +0000
To: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
CC: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, WCAG group <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, LVTF - low-vision-a11y <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
> I'm nervous about requiring momentary transient states to pass. Its new territory for WCAG. It hard on testers and hard on developers, for little good.

It is also quite rare to find, you’ll see from the examples that only the default (un-styled) link and a quiz had ‘active’ states.
The default button does have an active state, but does not rely on colour: The text moves down-right to create a 3d effect.

As soon as you give a link a default colour, the ‘active’ and visited states disappear (unless you set :active :visited, or only use a:link). In general people use things like:
a {color:blue;}

So those states disappear, and aren’t really missed.

Given that the intent is: “If you provide meaningful information via states then make sure people can discern them”, I don’t have a problem with adding something like what you proposed, how about:

"momentary transition states such as 'active' are hard to register visually for all users and are generally not considered to convey information required for that component."

I added ‘generally’ because there could be niche cases like the quiz where it does try to convey information in that state.

But for the very accessibility/usability-aware, I don’t really want to punish people who provide hints with :visited, conveying that in a way other than using purple is not often recognised.

-Alastair