Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11 part 2

The #1 statement has 2 bullets. Is the proposal that these are an AND
statement or and OR statement, we need that explicit, its a big difference.
==============

1. The default state (on page load) of the UI component has indicator(s) of
the component's existence. That can be:

   - Text or graphical content that identifies the component. [AND]   or
   [OR]
   - A background, border or other visual indicator of the component.

============

For the last #4 item... this will be an undue burden to test and remediate,
with disproportionally few benefits to the end user ... WCAG has not
traditionally wandered beyond the default and focused state, these are
split second states.

===========
4. For other states where there is a visible change of the component, the
state is represented by any of:

   - Text or graphical content (e.g. an icon that changes shape or
   direction, or a change of pointer), or
   - A change a colour of the component by at least a 3:1 contrast ratio,
   and maintain the indicators contrast (from 1).

=============

I think it should be dropped, along with this "assumption"

   - Focus and other states that use color to distinguish state, are
   distinguishing from the default state only (from the page load), NOT from
   every other state.

Instead, I think we should say that momentary transient states are not
visible/noticeable to many people and therefore out of scope.

=============

On the call I mentioned that Technologies relied upon for conformance is a
critical consideration when failing/passing default states. If Safari is
not relied upon for conformance, then it is not a failure of WCAG that it's
focus ring doesn't pass. If there is a stack that works, it passes.
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*