Re: Issue 948 SC 1.3.5 Identify Input Purpose - autocomplete technique VS Privacy/Security

​Additionally, in all of the browsers I've tested (Chrome, Firefox,
Vivaldi, Brave) on the Windows platform​, the browser *offers* to
auto-complete the fields, but awaits final confirmation from the user -
there is no obligation to do so however, and it remains a conscious choice
to accept the auto-filling. Additionally, most (all?) browsers allow to set
up more than one 'profile', for those 'shared' instances where more than
one user's data is stored.

Also, both Internet Explorer and MS Edge do not support autocomplete as
currently spec'd, so if a user is concerned about this attribute, they
could choose to use a different browser (weak come-back, I know, but
true...)

Finally, there is an additional "super" value for autocomplete (off/on)
which you would think could be used to "over-ride" specific values (but
doesn't, at least not in my quick testing in 3 browsers). The current spec
states:

If the autocomplete
<https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#element-attrdef-autocompleteelements-autocomplete>
attribute
is omitted, the default value corresponding to the state of the element’s form
owner <https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#form-owner>’s autocomplete
<https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#element-attrdef-autocompleteelements-autocomplete>
attribute
is used instead (either "on
<https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#attr-valuedef-forms-autocomplete-on>"
or "off
<https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#attr-valuedef-forms-autocomplete-off>").
If there is no form owner
<https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sec-forms.html#form-owner>, then the value "on"
is used.

Might be able to file a bug there (as one state not accounted for, where
the "form owner" [aka the parent <form> element] is explicitly set to
"off", has not been accounted for). I would suggest that given it's a
parent element, that the traditional "cascading" would apply (off at the
parent level = off at all the child levels as well), but that will need to
be discussed at WebPlatforms WG first.

JF

--
John Foliot