Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11

Alastair wrote:

> I’m saying that: In the case of the web stack, the default focus state is
defined by outline, so if the author leaves the outline alone, that meets
the exception.

I must disagree (IN THE STRONGEST OF TERMS).

The color, outline and other default parameters of a control are all
"styled" by default in every browser: if the content author makes a change
to one aspect of the control, and that change visually impacts other
aspects of the same control, then the author is responsible for all of her
actions, not just the one.

If you change the default focus outline's background color, then you must
also change it's foreground, *or provide a different visual indication of
active focus*. We cannot accept that Firefox's default back dotted lines,
situated on a CSS-modified background color of Navy blue, is acceptable
simply because "that's the default focus indication". White is also the
default background color, so Firefox's "native" focus indication is
black dotted lines on a white background... change one, you must change the
other (or, at least ensure that the change of one does not make the other
non-conformant without change).

JF

--
John Foliot