RE: Boxed input Vs. lined input

Thank you so much Jon, that will help!

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@levelaccess.com]
Sent: woensdag 23 mei 2018 20:21
To: Abma, J.D. (Jake) <Jake.Abma@ing.com>; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Boxed input Vs. lined input

Hi Jake, we briefly discussed this on the low vision call and found via unofficial anecdotal observation that the lined input actually worked for a number of us when it also contained some additional shading of the box itself even though the border of the shading was not 3:1 contrast.  Personally I found the flat boxed input without shadow from material design was confusing as the input to me looked like buttons because the labels are within the box.  Adding a little depth with the line and shading of the box help me personally.  The traditional method works for me as well.  We did not look at the method in a situation like high contrast mode where the shading is lost and only a line is present.  I have run into situations where only a line is present and that for me tends to be less beneficial to me.  This is an important topic and one that I believe would affect users with low vision and other groups as well such as some users with cognitive and learning disabilities.  I really benefit from clues that give things affordances.  Lack of affordance means the user is less sure what will happen when they interact with it.

Jonathan