Re: new wording and title for contextual information

Hi Gregg,

> One issue that is open that things are not programmatically determined
unless you specify what the “term” or handle is as well as the definition right
now you specify the definition but allow authors to use any name or handle
they want.

Are you confusing this one with SC 1.3.4 Identify Common Purpose (AA),
which is Issue #635 <https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/635>? I had
responded to your comment there directly - that the "name" (or handle) is
nothing more than a placeholder for a control associated to a concept, and
that the use of metadata here is what provides the programmatic
association. At AA, we are working from *a fixed list of COMMON controls or
widgets*, and the goal is to fill in the 4th piece of important information
that currently ARIA does not provide: Purpose (ARIA only provides Role,
State and Property). As I suggested previously, you can call your widget
whatever you want (in whatever language you want), but if it fills one of
those common "purposes", then the control is in scope for that SC, and any
public metadata libraries that are sufficient for this SC will include a
standardized definition for the purpose of that specific control.

Meanwhile, at AAA we have this SC: Contextual Information (or perhaps
re-named), and here the intent is to extend this concept to *all* controls
and widgets (above and beyond the fixed list in SC1.3.4). Once again, the
ultimate solution is to use a form of metadata - and here, the draft
Personalization
Semantics 1.0 <https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/> is
envisioned to be the primary means of meeting this SC.

I too remain personally sceptical that this will ever be fully measurable,
as "everything" is both subjective and non-measurable, and I think there
will be a fair bit of opinion on what is in scope or not, but given this is
at AAA perhaps that is less concerning. (Although your Issue #636
<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/636> suggests that you agree with me
on the first part, but see this as a show-stopper. I'm not sure I agree
100%, even if I share some of that concern, only because when you start
adding up AI and metadata, it becomes a lot more powerful than a direct
programmatic IDREF instance, such as how we use aria-labelledby or
aria-describedby today. So I remain hopeful that this will still pave the
way forward, even if support today is or will-be weak.)

The history of these two SC was that originally they were a single SC, at
level A, that was seeking what we currently see in the SC 1.3.5. Knowing
that an open-ended list of controls, regions, symbols, etc. was perhaps
overly broad, we set about constraining the list to a sub-set of
"everything" for SC 1.3.4 (at AA). One benefit here is that if we start the
masses off with a fixed and constrained list (SC 1.3.4 @ AA), they will
begin to understand and appreciate why this additional metadata is so
important, and it is part of the learning curve towards meeting 1.3.5 (@
AAA).

HTH

JF