RE: working on re-authentication

From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:08 AM

In usability testing, which wasn't exactly on this, but close as we gave people made-up information to type in as part of usability testing, it can take 5-10 seconds per character, if they are patient and motivated. The typical time-based-one time code is 6 characters to type in within 30 seconds.

We can discuss degree, but personally I've seen enough to know it is a real issue and any transcription will prevent some people from completing that task.
[Jason] According to this summary:
https://pthree.org/2014/04/15/time-based-one-time-passwords-how-it-works/
given the default time-based one-time password interval of 30 seconds, servers are typically configured to accept any of the previous, current and next values as valid. Thus, if a new TOTP code becomes available now, it will remain valid for 90 seconds, assuming these defaults are in place.

All I need is the ability to "freeze" the display of new passwords in order to have 90 seconds in which to transcribe six digits. In principle, these could be presented visually, spoken (with or without highlighting), in braille, or in any combination of modalities. The question on which we need reliable evidence, then, is whether there are people with cognitive disabilities such that (1) they can't complete this task, (2) they can use alternative authentication methods, and (3) they can use general-purpose WCAG-conformant Web applications effectively.

Thank you for your compliance.