From: "lisa.seeman@zoho.com" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 09:38
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, Michael Gower <michael.gower@ca.ibm.com>, "Rochford, John" <john.rochford@umassmed.edu>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: working on re-authentication

Ahh, I assumed re-authentication just excluded the first time sign up.

I think it is better to stick with authentication  and add an exception for transcribing during sign in
All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fil.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Flisaseeman%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cakirkpat%40adobe.com%7Cb1e60e0a8c9b441f842108d547b749ab%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636493774913491264&sdata=k82jqIgetPJcWkwKklNaEFCurENskXxW8bWSklanDK0%3D&reserved=0>, Twitter<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FSeemanLisa&data=02%7C01%7Cakirkpat%40adobe.com%7Cb1e60e0a8c9b441f842108d547b749ab%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636493774913491264&sdata=VpbjZPZUOEUAlXahMXUuqZ2scIFJ9e9rY%2FjalqikLyI%3D&reserved=0>

---- On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:07:36 +0200 Alastair Campbell<acampbell@nomensa.com> wrote ----
> Can people clarify what “re-authentication” is exactly and how it differs from authentication?

We should probably add a definition, but basically it means that you have authenticated on a site/page once, the site is maintaining some state (e.g. a cookie), but returning to the page requires a reduced form of authentication.
I think there are broadly three types of behavior, sites will either:

  *   Auto-re-authentication: Maintain your session (via cookies), and you don’t have to (re)authenticate at all (e.g. twitter).
  *   Re-authentication: Detect your previous authentication (via cookies) and then ask for a password, or perhaps the second factor again to confirm it is you at the keyboard (e.g. lastpass when set to remember your username but not password).
  *   Authentication: Make you to authenticate from fresh every time you arrive (e.g. my bank).
It is the second case that we’re trying to catch with re-authentication, the last case does not make any effort to maintain a previous session, and the first doesn’t require anything of the user.
HTH,
-Alastair