Re: definition for publicly available vocabulary and regions

Lisa,
Given the evolution of the “identify common purpose” (ICP) SC I find myself struggling to understand the differences between that SC and the “contextual information” SC.

1.3.4 currently: In content implemented using markup languages, for each user interface component that serves a purpose identified in the Common Purposes for User Interface Components<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#commonpurposes> section, that purpose can be programmatically determined.

1.3.5 currently: In content implemented using markup languages, contextual information<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-contextual-information> for controls, symbols, and regions can be programmatically determined using a publicly available vocabulary.

Contextual Information definition proposed: Information which clarifies the meaning of an object, the purpose of an object and the object’s relationship with other objects and processes, including identifying the position in a multi step process such as may be identified as breadcrumbs.

“ICP” is asking that certain purposes are programmatically determinable, based on a small list of purposes provided.

Contextual Information is asking for the same information and more, on a set of page content that includes UI Components but also includes symbols and regions, and also requires a publicly available vocabulary is used.  Is that right?

Right off the bat I know that we need to be replacing “controls” with “User Interface Components” because we did so with ICP.

Do we have a sample page (e.g. w3.org) hosted somewhere that shows what would actually need to be done to meet this? I think that would help a lot to understand this SC and the impact of it on authors.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility