Re: Purpose of Controls

At the opposite end of the spectrum of considerations on this list, is
that there are terms here which are so obviously the de facto term for a
control function that I'm really having problems seeing what the value is
having all authors forced to code the purpose.

Can anyone think of a situationn where the button that forwards an email
to someone else would be labelled as anything other than "forward"? It's a
very specific term to a specific type of application. It just seems out of
place to me compared to other more broadly used functions on this list
which could have synonyms used in labels.

Even some more globally used functions like "print" have a similar 'hard'
function name. Tough to think of use cases where the word "print" would
not be the label. I'm assuming there's a concern that a string like "Print
document" is a synonym so that may not be understood, so the purpose needs
to be clarified?

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034