Re: Mikes request that we identify an upper limit on the number of digits

Hypothesis...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two

I've known about, and referenced this theory, also known as Miller's Law,
for close to 2 decades now. While some continue to question the basic
theorem, it has taken root as an accepted metric and may be relevant here.
If 7 (+/- 2) is the average or 'norm' for the amount of short-term memory
items a person can accurately retain, is it unreasonable to consider the
low end of the scale for people with short-term memory issues would be 7-2
- aka 5?

Part of the problem, as famously stated by Jamie Knight, is that no two
people with cognitive issues are alike, and given the nature of their
disability, it is very hard to make scalable solutions or decisions based
solely on empirical data because the data itself doesn't scale.

That said, I agree with IBM's position that we need to have some hard data
facts that support our choice of "cut-off" number. I wonder aloud... based
upon my observations that most 2FA solutions involve a 6-digit number being
sent to the cell phone (or whatever), and additionally, those 'secret
codes' seem limited to either all numbers, or numbers and letters (i.e.
I've personally never seen the requirement for case-sensitivity or special
characters in those secondary codes), as a proposal to the larger group,
and specifically to IBM's concerns, I'd like to offer the following
suggestion: given that industry norms appear to be currently 6 digits and
no casing or special characters, would that be acceptable as the baseline
minimum? That rather than a cut-off of 5, we choose a cut-off of 6 plus the
restrictions around casing and special chars?

Thoughts? Mike/Marc?

JF

--
John Foliot