From: Detlev TK [mailto:detlev.fischer@testkreis.de]
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:50 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Clarification on Pointer Gesture proposal was RE: CFC - Pointer Gestures SC

Hi Jon,

good catch. I memory serves, we did not nail this down conclusively.

In the call, the argument was made that in web apps, gestures like long press and double click are sometimes carried over from the non-web app world, and it would seem odd to outlaw these gestures that people are familiar with in the UA or OS context (and cause a lot of pushback).

If it is consensus to basically exempt timed single point gestures, the question we have to decide is if

- we add an exception to the SC text itself;
- we assume that the use of double click and long press can qualify as essential (e.g. if it is needed to differentiate two actions attached to the same element) and then be exempt, but that these gestures are generally covered; in that case we need to explain that in the understanding document.

I lean towards the second option but others may hold that we need to nail this down in the SC text. Based on the feedback on this thread I will modify the understanding text (or propose another SC rewording).

Detlev